Couples Counselling Byron Bay
Couples Counselling Northern Rivers, NSW
Couples therapy with Anne Serry, a registered counsellor and psychotherapist with extensive experience in working with couples and individuals, can help foster a more satisfying relationship.
Anne Serry and our other marriage counsellors help couples to work through issues that trouble their relationships, including infidelity, trust issues, difficulty with communication and conflict, life transitions, parenting and infertility—and to make big choices about relationships and work through separations as necessary.
I recognise that while helping couples manage conflict is essential, having good conflict management skills alone will not create a strong relationship and I am able to support couples in understanding themselves and each other and creating strong family units.
Couples counselling with Anne Serry addresses myriad issues that come with creating a life with another person. These issues include trust and infidelity, conflict and connectedness and intimacy and companionship.
Couples Counselling Byron Shire
The following are some of the issues that couples commonly address in counselling:
- Online Counselling – Anne Serry is now offering online counseling services. Both individual and couples therapy are available via video chat. Serry encourages people to seek help for social isolation issues stemming from COVID-19.
- Infidelity – Anne uses trauma-informed relationship therapy to help couples process and heal from affairs and breaches of trust.
- Conflict – Conflict is a necessary part of any relationship, but how we approach conflict can affect the longevity of a relationship. Anne offers couples practical tools to raise and address issues as they arise, particularly those that stem from a recurring issue in the relationship.
- Disconnection and loss of intimacy – Intimacy and connectedness commonly diminish in couples, so we teach practical tools for couples to retain the feeling of being in love.
- Stress management – In recognition of the importance of managing stress, we focus strongly on the management of stress in the family.
- Parenting – Research shows that 70% of couples experience a decrease in marital satisfaction as a result of becoming parents. Our counselors teach practical parenting skills and work with couples to support them in communicating effectively, working together as a team, creating a connected family environment, and managing the stresses that go with parenting in a productive way.
- Managing emotions – Couples often have different ways of dealing with emotions, which can impact relationships; couples counselors can help these couples explore these differences and the effects they have on their relationship.
- Enhancing friendship – A solid friendship between a couple has been found to be an essential factor in the success of a marriage, because friendship helps couples to feel more emotionally connected, familiar with and intimate toward one another.
- Sex/intimacy issues – Counselors manage issues of intimacy, which arise within relationships, to help couples maintain a sense of closeness.
- Coping with trauma and grief – Couples sometimes need help in coping with the effects of trauma and grief. Anne Serry has training in treating trauma and can help couples to work through these issues.
- Life transitions – Professional couples counsellors help couples to adjust to major life transitions by understanding the meanings for one another.
- Coping with extended families – Dealing with relationship issues involving in-laws, children from other marriages, ex-partners, family members, and friends can cause stress and strain on a relationship; it is important for both partners to feel supported.